[Avodah] Who First Said It? 9 - No Music during Sefirah

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 13:11:59 PDT 2010

I just received this fax
> The counting of the Omer is from Tuesday 3/30 until Monday 5/17.

> Please be advised that no instrumental music may be played in the
> restaurant or catering facility during this time.

Well, much of this is self-evident but let's parse it anyway

A. First of all, what is the earliest source for the prohibition of
   simply hearing instrumental music during S'fira

B And what is the specific concern about being subjected to someone
  else's music and merely listening passively? Is there an issur hana'ah
  in being around music during s'fira?

[OTOH When I lost my Dad A"H I *did* at times request that my office
mate cut off his radio]

C. Notice this is for the entire period, not just 33 days

D. For a catering facility - whose being addressed? Few Customers
   are to be found in the commissary so it seems only the Mashgiach or
   potentially a few frum workers are impacted.

E. What about this issur is so important so as to motivate a fax a notice
   to each facility?

The main thrust is the same, when did S'fira and music first get linked?

KT
RRW
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile