[Avodah] Haleiv HaCompanies

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Apr 9 07:02:54 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 06:15:46PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
: >RMF treats Chalav Yisrael (CY) as a question of requiring birur, and thus
: >any form of birur is sufficient.

: No, he doesn't.  He treats it as requiring eidus, but says that a
: sufficient level of certainty *is* eidus...

This is a circumlocution to no perpose. There is no eid, but it's eidus?
Clearly it can only be "like eidus" and thus calling both birur matches
his intent. Perhaps one can limit it -- the same kind of birur as eidus,
rather than e.g. chazaqah [disvara] or rov.

You're playing word games to the exclusion of simple logic.

: >However, if someone were choleiq, and held that CY was a gezeirah,
: >we would require supervision even if there were no chance of a problem.

: In the third teshuvah he explicitly says it was a gezeira, and even a
: davar shebeminyan that cannot be repealed.  And he repeats his position
: that "anan sahadi" is enough to satisfy that gezeira.   It seems to me,
: having gone over those teshuvos multiple times over the years, that the
: crux of his position is that he distinguishes between merely knowing
: something and being certain of it.

Which is EXACTLY why I mentioned that RYF's position appears to change
over time, and that since you're discussing the first teshuvah, I would
limit my comments to his position at that time.

The teshuvos differ in masqanah. RMF originally held that Chalav
haCompanies is mutar me'iqar hadin, but e.g. for a school, CY was a good
chumrah to adopt. Later, he shifted to seeing ChC as a valid qulah,
but not quite baseline iqar hadin.

:-)BBii!

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Gevurah: When does strict
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  judgment bring balance and harmony?