[Avodah] "The Great Miracle of the Volcano Shutdown "

Joseph C. Kaplan jkaplan at tenzerlunin.com
Wed May 5 07:09:10 PDT 2010

As someone who originally criticized the volcano/liver transplant story in an Areivim thread, I'd like to note that I have no problem with the basic story itself; my problem is with the way it was told.  Just think if the thrust of the story had been to inspire people not to give up hope no matter how dire things seem to be and to keep on doing what you think is important rather than fall into despair and depression.  In that context it could have been inspiring and heartwarming. However, the references to miracles and making it all about hasgacha pratit took this otherwise inspiring and heartwarming story and made it insensitive and theologically difficult.

Joseph Kaplan