[Avodah] 2 fridgies

Danny Schoemann doniels at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 21:29:16 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Eli Turkel <eliturkel at gmail.com> wrote:
> <<(At least in Israel milk comes in bags and is therefore "open" once
> the corner is cup open.)>>
>
> Unless one puts cheese on top of meat - highly unlikely- there is not much of a
> problem with a fridge.

That's not what the Remo in YD 95:6 seems to say.

SA 95:6: One may place a jug of milk next to one of meat inside a box.
Remo: And there are those who are stringent Lechatchila, and it's good
to be stringent Lechactchila in a when possible.

[Eamil #2. -micha]

R' Zev Sero commented:
> Not allowed?  It says it *is* allowed, and the Ramo merely says that
>it should be avoided if possible.

The Remo says: And there are those who are stringent Lechatchila, and
it's good to be stringent Lechactchila in a when possible.

> But that's "next to"; do you not have separate shelves in the fridge
> for milchigs and fleishigs?

No we don't; never occurred to me that it was needed - and I've never
seen anybody do it. Is that your custom?

But maybe it's a good idea. However, the milk could still spill onto
the meat below (or vice versa) which seems to be more than "a problem"
- it may be actually forbidden to live with this constant possibility.

> And don't you cover the milk jug, to stop random debris from falling in?

No. It's not a jug; it's a plastic bag with the corner cut off.

- Danny