[Avodah] Sobering Thoughts as Israel's Independence Day Approaches

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 21 14:58:51 PDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:43:51PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
: Daniel Bukingolts wrote:
:>               why all the seemingly huge miracles to create and keep
:>its existence? How do you explain 48 war? 67? Do you just write it off
:>by saying... in the path a person wants to go Hashem guides him? (or
:>whatever the phrase is...)

: In both cases any other result would have caused a massacre r"l worse
: than Tach Vetat, and a massive chilul Hashem ("lama yomru vagoyim ayeh
: elokeihem").  HKBH had "no choice" keveyachol but to give the Jews a
: victory....

As opposed to what HQBH allowed to happen just 3 years prior to haqamas
hamedinah?

My point isn't to assert one way or the other, just to point out how
these things are simply topics I would want to take a stand about.
We're dealing with HQBH's "Actions". Our ability to answer "why?" is
severely limited.

As for the phrase, it's "bederekh she'adam rotzeh leileikh, sham
molikhin oso".

And to play devil's advocate (almost literally), recall seifer Iyov. The
satan was given a lot of authority to do much to Iyov for the sake of
providing him the challenges his soul needed. The notion that Israel is
maaseh satan can't be *summarily* dismissed.

(Personally, I understand the anti-Zionist position more readily than
I understand Agudah's. Li nir'eh, it's obvious that the Medinah is a
significant event. I can faster understand someone attributing negative
significance than denying it altogether.)