[Avodah] HaRav Yosef Ber Soloveitchik on Saying Hallel on Yom Ha’Atzma’ut

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 08:42:36 PDT 2010

<<It has recently been alleged that on these occasions the Rav did not
recite Hallel, but only pretended so as not to give offense. Offhand this
contradicts the written record. There is no evidence that the Rav changed
his mind on the subject. The argument that he had second thoughts about
the religious significance of the State of Israel does not hold water,
since the Rav's Zionism was not rooted in messianic speculation or in
illusory expectations for the religious transformation of the governing
elites, but rather in the success of Israel in defending Jewish lives
and facilitating vibrant religious institutions.>>

I have an article from HaRav Lichtenstein (in Hebrew - not on web that I know)
that discusses in depth the zionism of RYBS. He begings the article with the
comment that his opinion on Hallel with or wo a beracha is not relevant to
his opinions on zionism as that is a question of hilchot berachot.

His main point is that RYBS strongly favored zionism but mainly on a spritual
level (though I think jol didi dofek contradicts that). He mentions at
the end that
RYBS was very proud when RAL's son went into the Israeli army (hesder).

BTW I checked with someone who davened in Maimonides and he said that
RYBS always davened with a tallis over his head in a manner that one
could not see
what he was or wasnt saying (this is all year around)

--
Eli Turkel