[Avodah] HaRav Yosef Ber Soloveitchik on Saying Hallel on Yom Ha’Atzma’ut

Yaakov Ellis yellis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 11:26:13 PDT 2010

I remember from one of Rav Rakeffet's lectures on the Rav (his "Torah
she'baal Peh on the two volume set that he authored) that the Rav's reaction
on this occasion was not so much because of Hallel, but because the students
also recited the "Od haYom beNov" hafTarah, on a klaf, after Torah reading
(YH in that year fell on a Monday or Thursday). I can't remember if it was
with a beracha or not. But according to my recollection of Rav Rakeffet's
lecture, it was this disdain for the regular seder haTefillah (in addition
to doing it in front of the Rav without consulting him) which prompted the
Rav's shiur later on that day. (Apologies but I cannot remember the exact
shiur - it is from this series: http://j.mp/bYEvtH).

Yaakov Ellis