[Avodah] Haleiv HaCompanies

rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 08:22:11 PDT 2010

> According to Halacha, milk requires supervision to ensure that it is
> produced exclusively from Kosher beasts.

> According to some, this supervision need not be performed by a
> Jew. Government regulations that are properly audited and maintained
> are adequate.

Permit me to explain the mechanics of RMF's p'saq re: Haleiv HaCompanies,
AIUI.

The Gmara says that a Jew need not witness the milking, rather if he is
in the area this causes the Gentile to be "mirsas"

Essentially RMF says that the USDA is a proxy for this "Jew in the
vicinity" and triggers the same "mirsas" via "anan sahadi". [I'm fuzzy
what the specific dynamics of this anan sahadi are about]

NB: the Gmara itself opened this door by NOT requiring the physical
witnessing by the Jew of the Milking process - and instead requiring a
[Jewish] presence to prevent "cheating".

In a country where the Gentile would not be mirsas* - then a Jewish
presence would indeed be required

* Due to, EG, either:
  - no government agency, or
  - an ineffectual one.