[Avodah] Volunteers?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Apr 7 13:15:49 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 03:45:08PM -0400, Rich, Joel wrote:
: I'm not sure I understand the ordered/different/commensurable
: distinction so let me restate- which one makes HKB"H "happier" or is he
: equally happy (e.g. Mordechai leaving learning to save the Jews)?

I am arguing G-d wants different things from different people at different
times. I object to the notion that "talmud Torah keneged kulam" means
that one should seek Torah primarily and only fit other mitzvos into
the time where one's yeitzer hara doesn't allow one to learn. "Lakol
zeman va'eis lekhol cheifetz..." "Gadol talmud *shemeiv liydei maaseh*."
"Hevei zahir bemitzvah kalah kevachamurah." Etc...

Finding the one best mitzvah and sticking with it is like trying to live
of spinach. It may have the vitamins and minerals you need most, but to
live, you need a balanced diet -- not only those particular vitamins.

The only possible exception would be the Rashbi or Gra (or...), for whom
Torasam umenasan to the extent that every moment away from learning was
physically painful to the point that they even slept minimal quantities
the rest of us couldn't survive

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 1 day in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Chesed sheb'Gevurah: When is holding back a
Fax: (270) 514-1507                           Chesed for another?