[Avodah] Volunteers?

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Wed Apr 7 12:45:08 PDT 2010

: Rich, Joel wrote:
:> 2. Assuming such an individual has unique skills such that the :> activity cannot be done by others, is the schar they receive for that :> activity equal to that which they would have received for learning or :> is it less but they still have to do it?

: Why do you think that schar can be ordered? Couldn't it be that you get
: different schar for act a and b, but they are not commensurable?

It is for this reason I would not agree with the basic assumption behind RJR's original question:
> 1. Does a ben yeshiva or a baal habayit who takes learning seriously
> and understands that "spare time" is learning time (to the extent
> possible) have a permanent pass from these activities as long as there
> are others who don't have the same view?

If these activities are mitzvos, including providing for the tzibbur, then perhaps this ben yeshiva or baal habayis is simply wrong.

Mashal: Suppose someone went to a doctor, who found that for someone with their medical history, spinach would be the healthiest of all foods. It would bolster their low iron count, provide roughage, etc...

I'm not sure I understand the ordered/different/commensurable distinction so let me restate- which one makes HKB"H "happier" or is he equally happy (e.g. Mordechai leaving learning to save the Jews)?

As to being wrong-on what basis would one overrule the statement that if it were naaseh al ydei acheirim, one should not leave one's learning?  Would not the sum total of HKB"H's "happiness" be maximized by someone who would be snoozing doing the job?

KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.