[Avodah] Moshe's name in the haggadah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Apr 1 06:45:49 PDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 06:43:36PM +0200, Arie Folger wrote:
: RMB and others were trying to figure out how broad the prohibition is
: of pronouncing kol pessuqa delo psqei Moshe, i.e., a partial verse.
:
: RMB suggested that two words is OK, but not more...

Except that I am not so much suggesting as trying to catch us up to
where the last conversation on this topic ended. RRW was mechavein to
the Chasam Sofer (*not the Chazon Ish*, I misremembered) that kol pesuqa
includes an esnachta.

The two word thing was also from that conversation.

I was also wondering about where the pasuq uses quotes. As in, if HQBH
says "ve'amarta eilav" is there a problem saying those words without the
rest of the pasuq?

: I would like to suggest another distinction, based on the experience
: of reading the Haggadah and derashot: we don't recite partial verses
: *in a liturgical context*, i.e., qeriat haTorah, and according
: to some / many, tefillah, too. And perhaps an etna'hta or equivalent is
: kosher for tefillah (such as in Vayvarekh David, when we segue from
: Divrei haYamim to Ne'hemiah), but not qeriat haTorah, which is even
: stricter. Eitehr way, I suggest that in an exegetical context (such as
: the haggadah), or in a literary context (i.e., when using Scriptural
: expressions out of context), there is no problem.

I have a hard time accepting that qerias haTorah, which is a ritualized
learning program, is more liturgical use of pesaqim than the Hagadah,
which is also a ritualized learning program.

For that matter, qerias haTorah was established a qiyum of talmud Torah,
whereas Maggid is sipur yetzi'as mitzrayim. If anything, wouldn't it be
the seder which is closer to liturgical than learning?

:-)||ii!

Micha Berger             Today is the 2nd day
micha at aishdas.org        in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Gevurah sheb'Chesed: What is constricted
Fax: (270) 514-1507                           Chesed?