[Avodah] Avodah

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue May 4 15:03:45 PDT 2010

From: Yosef Skolnick <yskolnick at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 17:22:30 -0400
Subject: [Avodah] Dowries for marriage

SA Even Haezer Siman 2 Seif 1 Ramah (the whole thing) and Chelkat michokek to answer the stirah.
http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=14398&st=&pgnum=12

Ilana Sober Elzufon wrote:
> RSZN: but there undoubtedly is more economic blackmail than before [ no $ , no shidduch]

> Depends how you define "before" - dowries have been around for millennia.

And poskim and baalei mussar seem to have had no problem at all with them. One finds no condemnation of the bochur who places a high price on himself before agreeing to a shiduch. What one does find, interestingly, is condemnation of the bochur who, having agreed to a shiduch, breaks it off because the father-in-law is no longer able to meet the commitment he made in good faith.