[Avodah] When NOT to Lie for Peace

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Dec 30 20:38:52 PST 2008

From: "Meir Rabi" _meirabi at optusnet.com.au_ (mailto:meirabi at optusnet.com.au)

---------

>> This is probably  correct.

However, accordingly it means that Y and his bros had  discussed and debated
this and weighed the options, otherwise it is just the  musings of a group of
well meaning but misdirected individuals....

They were making decisions of such weight defending Yaakov when Y had  not
even been consulted or informed?

...Was Yaakov part of  those deliberations?

....BTW I do not know why you restrict  the issues of Chunfa to nonO rabbis.
.... Am I permitted
to greet  someone who has insulted a fellow J and has refused to gain the
victim's  forgiveness? Am I permitted to attend a testimonial dinner to
honour someone  who has not dealt honestly with business associates or
rivals?....  <<

Meir Rabi

Did the brothers make up a beis din and discuss and weigh Yosef's
"rebellion" before sentencing him?  I believe the Gemara says that's  exactly what they
did.  (Yakov was not part of their deliberations.)   Others on this list will
probably be able to point to the exact Gemara,  UIAM.

As for your observation that there are many kinds of sin besides being a
non-O rabbi, you are correct.  At what point the sin becomes so great that
greeting that person is in effect condoning  sin -- I guess that's a  judgment call.

(PS. I notice that I made a mistake in speculating that the brothers
suspected Yosef of eating ever min hachai -- actually he suspected /them/ of  that
sin and so reported it to their father)

--Toby  Katz

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.