[Avodah] When NOT to Lie for Peace

Meir Rabi meirabi at optusnet.com.au
Wed Dec 24 18:13:38 PST 2008

Rbtzn Toby said,

They believed Yosef was a major sinner (mored bemalchus -- if Yakov is a
melech -- plotting to usurp his father's and brothers' place -- re his dream
of his father and brothers bowing to him -- OR -- eating ever min hachai --
OR -- other?).  To smile at a sinner and pretend everything's fine is not
darkei sholom but hypocrisy.  (Maybe we should learn from the brothers that
chanifa to non-O rabbis is not the right thing to do.)

This is probably correct.

However, accordingly it means that Y and his bros had discussed and debated
this and weighed the options, otherwise it is just the musings of a group of
well meaning but misdirected individuals who have not consulted but only
assume the position of the one they are accusing and indicting.

They were making decisions of such weight defending YaAkov when Y haad nt
even been consulted or informed?

Even if this is true, who was the impartial third party to assist them in
their deliberations and assessments?

Can a group of people be the prosecutors, Judge and jury?

Was YaAkov part of those deliberations?

Was YaAkov concerned about Yosef's takeover or was he grooming him for the
job?

BTW I do not know why you restrict the issues of Chunfa to nonO rabbis. It
applies to anyone who refuses to repent and mollify those s/he has wronged.
See R Yona 170 something I think. I presume that BALaMakom is also included
but we are to assume the sinner has repented. In fact I think we have more
severe problems than nonO rabbis in our own O congregations. Am I permitted
to greet someone who has insulted a fellow J and has refused to gain the
victim's forgiveness? Am I permitted to attend a testimonial dinner to
honour someone who has not dealt honestly with business associates or
rivals? nonOs are soft targets [and I mean it both ways]

Meir Rabi