[Avodah] pach hashemen

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 22:07:33 PST 2008

<<I was thinking that maybe they didn't bother recording the Neis of
the Pach Shemen because they were Melumad in Nisim in the Beis
Hamikdash - like the Mishnah in Avos and the Gemara in Yuma record. In
the context of the daily Nisim in the Beis HaMikdash, the miracle of
the war victory was much bigger than the miracle of the Pach Shemen,
and Chazal didn't see fit to record it until later generations who
were forgetting about the Neis of the Pach Shemen.>>

I am not sure if this is related to the answer of R. Yoel bin Nun.
He says that the main idea behind Chanukah is the miracle of the
military battles. So the
pach hashemen was not mentioned since it was secondary.
However in Bavel there was no connection to military victories since
the Temple had
been destroyed, there was no independent Jewish state and they were
subject to the Persians.
ence, in its absence the miracle of the oil became the central feature
of Chanukah

--
Eli Turkel