[Avodah] Madoff's children

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Dec 24 10:52:26 PST 2008

Eli Turkel wrote:

> Om a legal basis if they did not turn him they could be brought to
> trial as accomplices.

On what basis?  So long as they did not actively take part in the
coverup, or receive anything in return for their silence, they had
no legal duty to open their mouths.

> Even now I would not be surprised if someone
> sues them on the basis that kids must have known

"Must have" is not evidence.  Anybody can sue anyone for anything,
and sanctions for frivolous lawsuits are not handed out nearly often
enough to discourage the practise, but without actual evidence such
a suit could not get very far.

--
Zev Sero                                Have a brilliant Chanukah
zev at sero.name