[Avodah] Kaddesh after Kiddush Levana

Elazar M. Teitz remt at juno.com
Wed Dec 24 11:56:19 PST 2008

<<After Kiddush Levana, people (if there is a minyan) say Kaddesh.  My question is: how many people actually have to have said the Kiddush Levana for it to be valid to say Kaddesh afterwards?>>

<It would seem to me that there's no need for anyone but the person
saying kaddish to have said it, and that it's entirely OK for one
person who has said kiddush levana to gather 9 others just for his
kaddish, just as people do with borchu.>

     As I understand it, kaddish is a chovas hatzibbur -- when a minyan has completed something _as a minyan_, be it p'sukei d'zimra, chazaras hasha"tz, learning, etc., a kaddish is said. If it was not done b'tzibbur, there is no subsequent kaddish obligation. Thus, if a person was studying g'mara alone, there is no justification for then gathering a minyan for him to say kaddish, and the same should be true for kiddush levana, unless at least a rov minyan said Aleinu.  In the case of Borchu, on the other hand, the entire minyan is participating.

     This is not to say that it is proper to gather a minyan to say Borchu, other than at the times the din provides for: at k'rias haTorah, before birchos k'rias Sh'ma, and at the conclusion of a t'filla which contains birchos k'rias Sh'ma, for the benefit of latecomers who missed it.  I don't know whether it is permitted for ten people to get together and say Borchu at any other occasion.

EMT