[Avodah] women lighting candles

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 10:48:33 PST 2008

<<As for women and Chanuka, I note in a Chabad pamphlet that somebody
gave my husband -- and there is something similar in Sefer Hatoda'ah
-- that women benefited even more from the nes Chanuka than the men
did, and it's a special holiday for women -- but nobody suggests that
therefore women should light their own menorahs >>

Women are obligated in chanukah candles - "she af hen hayu be-oto
ha-nes" . Rashi suggest that they are obligated
because they had a special part in the miracle through Yehudit and
Chana. I heard from R. Meidan that sefer
Makabim mentions that women were especially careful that the sons
should have a brit milah.

Again RYBS and RAL do indeed suggest that married women do light their
own menorahs. Others suggest that
at least single women light chanukkah candles

--
Eli Turkel