[Avodah] Horaas Shaah

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Thu Dec 18 13:49:05 PST 2008

At 04:27 PM 12/18/2008, Michael Kopinsky wrote:

>But Rav Schwab did know German, and was very familiar with RSRH's writings,
>and was apparently convinced by RBBL's arguments.
>
>KT,
>Michael

Rav Schwab discusses his changing attitude toward TIDE in his article
TIDE - A Second View which I have posted at
http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/rsrh/tide_second_view.pdf

It is not at all clear to me that Rav Schwab was *very* familiar with
RSRH's writings when he went to Lithuania in 1926 at the age of 18 to
study in Telshe.  True, he could read German, but reading Rav Hirsch
in the original high level German idiom in which he wrote could not
have been easy for anyone, let alone a teenager.

Yitzchok Levine