[Avodah] Jewish Hyper-sensitivity guided by Mesora

I. Balbin Isaac.Balbin at rmit.edu.au
Thu Dec 18 13:43:18 PST 2008

> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 14:32:03 +1100
> From: "Meir Rabi" <meirabi at optusnet.com.au>
>

> Which requires some elaboration, like whose Mesora? How far back? Does
> Mesora ever change? How have certain changes been accepted and others
> rejected? Is tat also part of the Mesora?
>
> Reb Moshe responded re wearing modern American clothing that were a
> variation from the traditions.

The answers are, your Mesora. Importantly, your Mesora does not
disqualify someone elses. That's half the problems we have.

When Reb Moshe was asked by Lakewood whether they should keep Shabbos
on Sunday as well in Melbourne, he responded "Go and see what the
Yidden in Melbourne already do" He did not Pasken.

I forget which of the Brisker did this, but they started wearing a
short suit jacket only after moving to a different city for a period
of time where the Talmidei Chachomim did so. After that, they were
able to go back to their own city and continue to wear the short suit
jacket.

Dr Chaym Soloveitchik got it right, in his tradition article, in my
view.

Mesora will only be unified when the Moshiach comes. Attempts to
dilute people's Mesorah and/or contort it to be in keeping with
someone elses only causes Sinas Chinom.

Rabbi Willig's shiur on Kezayis Matzah is another affirmation that you
do what you saw from Kedoshim in your family.