[Avodah] Making Coffee on Shabbos

Steven J Scher sjscher at eiu.edu
Wed Dec 17 16:01:37 PST 2008

Based on OC 319:4, I suggested that one could make coffee on shabbos with
a cone filter -- as long as you use a kli sheini, and as long as you  have
placed the coffee in the filter before shabbos.

R'Gershon Dubin replied:

> The Aruch Hashulchan gives the analogous case with tea (leaves) and is
vehemently against it, as tea is considered kalei habishul.  I don't
see reason to think coffee is any different.

> Gershon (coffee addict)Dubin
> gershon.dubin at juno.com

  I don't think you can learn about coffee from tea:

1) if i understand correctly, tea is not cooked already, and coffee is
(albiet tzli, not bishul, so perhaps that doesn't matter, but...).

2) tea is a problem because it is kalei habishul, but that doesn't
necessarily mean coffee is.  tea is soft, a leaf.  coffee is hard.
according the the biur halacha on 318:4

kulias haispnin: lav davka aylu, d'hu hadin lcol cayotzei bazeh davar dak
v'rak cyosair. (rambam perek 9).

coffee beans are neither thin nor soft.

3) finally, its a maloches whether you can make tea in a kli shlishi.  so,
even if coffee was kalei habishul, shouldn't that mean it would be ok,
except you'd have to use a kli shelishi, not sheini....
although of course, for those who won't
make tea even in a kli shelishi, that wouldn't solve the problem.

- steve