[Avodah] Making Coffee on Shabbos

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Dec 17 11:30:22 PST 2008

Steven J Scher wrote:
> It occured to me as I was learning this that this would allow one to
> make coffee with a cone filter as long as you put the ground coffee into
> the filter before shabbos.
> [...]
> An obvious concern is bishul.  Coffee beans are roasted, but yesh bishul
> acher tzli.  Therefore, you have to use a kli sheni.
> [...]
> So, this means that you could have fresh coffee on Shabbos!  I'm posting
> here because I can't imagine no one else has ever thought of this.  But,
> I've never heard of anyone doing it.  Is there a reason why not?

Perhaps the problem is not in halacha but in the metzius.  Is it possible
for the water from irui of a keli sheni to be hot enough to make coffee
in this way, that will be better than instant?

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.