[Avodah] City named after AZ

Yitzhak Grossman celejar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 16:40:40 PST 2008

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 13:37:15 -0500
Zev Sero <zev at sero.name> wrote:

> 2. There is no AZ whose name is "Christchurch".  The city was not named
> for their god, but for the college in Oxford, which was in turn named for
> a church building, which was in turn named for their god.  And since they

It is also worth noting that "Christ" is arguably not even a proper
name at all; it is merely the English version of the Greek
"Χριστός" (Khristós), the translation of the Hebrew "Mashiah".  I don't
know if this etymology is Halachically significant, though.

> Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's

Yitzhak
--
Bein Din Ledin - http://bdl.freehostia.com
A discussion of Hoshen Mishpat, Even Ha'Ezer and other matters