[Avodah] Did RSRH Write LH about Shimon and Levi

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Sun Dec 14 20:03:59 PST 2008

At 03:05 PM 12/14/2008, T613K at aol.com wrote:
>According to the Chofetz Chaim, negative information may be
>disseminated for certain kinds of to'eles.  To derive from the Torah
>commentary of a tzaddik and great Torah scholar some kind of blanket
>permission to spread negative information about Jews is really quite
>a stretch.  There is also a tone of disrespect towards RSRH in the
>very title of this thread.

Absolutely no disrespect was meant to RSRH. He is one of my heroes.
Indeed, we just returned from a dinner marking the completion of the
new translation of RSRH's commentary to the Chumash. I had a chance
to briefly meet Rabbi Shelomo Danziger as well as many descendents of RSRH.

I did not derive anything. I know that what RSRH wrote is not LH.
However, some have insisted that one cannot write anything negative
about anybody. I believe that RSRH's commentary on what Shimon and
Levi did proves that this is not true. There are times when it is
permitted to write negative things about people.

Someone wrote to me

Black letter law - from the classic work of the Chofetz Chaim.
     A. There is a prohibition on Loshon HaRa - even the written
form. No questions about that.
     B. Information that is widely known and disseminated is not
Loshon HaRa even when spoken, unless you are providing some new "insight".

But, please do not accuse me of being disrespectful to Rabbiner
Hirsch. The more I study of his writings, the higher my opinion of him goes.

YL