[Avodah] RSRH's Comments on Bereshis 33:4-7

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Dec 12 09:57:37 PST 2008

Micha Berger wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 11:54am EST, R Yitzchok Levine quoted RSRH:
> : The word "vayevkoo" ("and they wept") attests that Esav was overcome by
> : genuine human emotion....
>
> Which reopens the question of when one takes the liberty of giving a
> peshat contrary to Chazal. Does RSRH have a contrary source in Chazal to
> the medrash that turns Esav's act into an attempt to steal -- which even
> as a mashal, can't indicate authenticity on his part.

I think you're confusing two stories.  *Lavan's* kiss was an attempt to
see whether Yaacov was hiding anything in his mouth.  Esav's kiss, if it
was not genuine, was an attempt to bite Yaacov's neck.  But RSRH is on
safe ground here, because no less an authority than RSBY says that Esav's
kiss was genuine.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.