[Avodah] FW: Worth thinking about

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Dec 12 07:42:18 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:35:18PM -0500, Yitzhak Grossman wrote:
:> Jewish law is not a "truth seeking venture". If it were, we would be
:> listening to the bas qol. It's a process for mapping Divine Thought

: There are, of course, other interpretations of why the Hachamim didn't
: follow the Bas Kol in the case of Tanur Shel Achnai.  Tosfos (Yevamos
: 14a s.v. Rabbi Yehoshua), for example, suggest (in their first
: approach) that the veracity of that Bas Kol was dubious, since it only
: occurred in defense of the honor of Rabbi Eliezer.

I refer the chevrah back to my summary of the Encyc
Talmudit on this point, listing 5 different shitos.
<http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol02/v02n087.shtml#02> The basic issue
is that "eilu va'eilu divrei E-lokim chaim, vehalakhah keBH" is also a
bas qol, and there it seems that we followed the bas qol.

However, as I said when I ran with the Maharal's shitah (AIUI) about
the nature of machloqes, I wasn't describing all possible position,
but the approach that appeals to me.

One can study gemara, rishonim and acharonim, and learn all the various
shitos. Or one can study a guide, and learn what to do lemaaseh. If one
is not a poseiq, the former will rarely overlap with the latter. But
there is a chiyuv to do both.

Similarly in aggadita, one can engage in talmud Torah and learn all
the shitos. Or one can study to build their own worlview. Here, though,
everyone plays personal "poseiq" -- and in fact it much of the process
is preconscious, what strikes me as making sense. So the overlap is
large. Still, when engaging in a "what I believe" discussion, I'm not
likely to raise the other interpretations.

Here I tried to be clear that was what I was doing. The question is,
whether the worldview I constructed is consistent, which brings us to
RZS's post.