[Avodah] Questions as a Result of the Flatbush Lakewood

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Dec 9 10:01:28 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 12:45:47AM -0500, T613K at aol.com wrote:
: Well this is one place that, when I read it, I understood it to be a yeshiva
: (with a dorm and a kitchen!): Melachim Bais, 4:38-44. It's the story of the
: bnai hanavi'im who were sitting before Elisha (i.e., his talmidim) and they
: had nothing to eat, and then one of them went and got some mushrooms from the
: field and made soup but it turned out the mushrooms were poisonous so they
: couldn't eat the soup, and then Elisha put some flour in the soup and
: miraculously made it OK to eat. And then on the same page is the story of the
: man who came and brought twenty loaves of bread, which Elisha told his servant
: to serve to a hundred men, and miraculously it was enough to feed a hundred
: men.
: What hundred men could that be? Must be the talmidim in his yeshiva.

The benei hanevi'im were certainly the talmidim studying to be nevi'im.
I agree.

Now, how about finding people who were studying to be the sarei mei'os and
the sarei asaros etc... that Yisro has Moshe set up? Bichlal, I always
wondered why pointing to "rabbanim min hatorah minayim?" more people
don't go to parashas Yisro in addition to "kol asher yoruchah" (which
al derekh peshat is judicial, not legislative -- look at the context).

Proof of people studying for nevu'ah is not proof of people studying
halakhah.

Speaking of which, what did Sheim and Eiver teach? The 66 dinim of the
7MBN? For 14 years?! Philosophical theology, as the Rambam seems to
assume? In any case, the word "yeshiva" is a bit of a stretch.

Micha Berger You cannot propel yourself forward
micha at aishdas.org by patting yourself on the back.
http://www.aishdas.org -Anonymous
Fax: (270) 514-1507