[Avodah] a troubling halacha

Samuel Svarc ssvarc at yeshivanet.com
Thu Nov 13 23:21:29 PST 2008

RET:
> I am still waiting for a source (before KSA) that one shouldn't inform
> relatives of the death of a family member (except for kaddish)
>
> Simply not telling bad news should not override the mitzvah of vehavta
> le-reacha kamocha where you know you are distressing the person by
> withholding the information

I just recently (after this discussion started on Avodah) heard a shuir on
107.9, the Lakewood radio station, where the maggid shuir was discussing the
halachos of relating troubling news. He spoke out that we tell the sons
about the death in order that they should say kaddish, and then threw in
that the minag today is to tell the daughters as well, basing this factoid
on the Chavos Yair. He gave no mareh makom so I can't pass any on.

KT,
MSS