[Avodah] a troubling halacha

Michael Poppers MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Thu Nov 13 09:13:56 PST 2008

In Avodah Digest V25#383, R'Micha responded to me:
: In Avodah Digest V25#381, REMT related:
:>> Each gave a different answer: RYBS mentioned the kibbud av va'eim aspect,
:>> RYH said that the passing of a parent means that we are one more generation
:>> removed from the origin of our mesora, and my father said that one has only
:>> one father and mother, while parents generally have more than one child.

:> Could REMT (or someone else) expand on the difference(s) between the
:> respective answers of his father and of RYBS zichronam livrachah?

> Just guessing...
> A nafqa minha could be that kibud av va'eim applies to parents who didn't
> receive the mesorah from their parents. Or who were not present to pass
> it on to the child.

Thanks for the guess. My Q is based on the concept of "huqash k'vodo
[i.e. of the father] lichvod haMaqom," noted by RaMBaN in his Seifer
Shmos commentary re the dibbur of "kabeid es avicha." Frankly, I'm
not sure that the heqesh extends to the singular nature of both, but
perhaps it does (note the use of "avinu" by RaMBaN at the beginning of
his comment -- there's only one "av ha'acharon" just as there's only one
"av harishon")....

A guten Shabbes/Shabbas Shalom and all the best from
Michael Poppers * Elizabeth, NJ, USA

[Appending a PS RMP sent separately at 12:16:20 (2-1/2 min later). -micha]

...and may I add that the nature of k'vod haRav (of which a person should
only be qoneh one) also relates to this type of heqesh.... --MP