[Avodah] When one is ill

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Wed Nov 12 05:51:22 PST 2008

Rich, Joel wrote:

> IIRC there's a gemara that details a progression for steps when one is

> ill, first praying for themselves then asking others to pray for them.

> Can someone point me to where this gemara is.

Berachos (55b):The third commenced and said: If a man falls ill, the
first day he should not tell anyone, so that he should not have bad
luck; but after that he may tell. So when Raba fell ill, on the first
day he did not tell anyone, but after that he said to his attendant: Go
and announce that Raba is ill. Whoever loves him, let him pray for him,
and whoever hates him, let him rejoice over him; for it is written:
Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thy heart be glad when
he stumbleth, lest the Lord see it and it displease Him and He turn away
His wrath from him.26
Daniel Eidensohn
====================
Thanks to R'DE.
I was wondering if this is brought down anywhere in practice.  I know
that praying for oneself is as well as praying for others but I don't
recall seeing the stages as above.  I'm asking since in a local shul it
has become common practice to say tehillim for "a member of the
community". When I queried about who it was, I was told that they wanted
to remain anonymous. It seemed to me that this makes any prayer or
tehillim less effective,  Thoughts on these competing priorities or my
assumption on value?

KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.