[Avodah] When one is ill

Daniel Eidensohn yadmoshe at 012.net.il
Tue Nov 11 23:47:34 PST 2008

Berachos (55b):The third commenced and said: If a man falls ill, the
first day he should not tell anyone, so that he should not have bad
luck; but after that he may tell. So when Raba fell ill, on the first
day he did not tell anyone, but after that he said to his attendant: Go
and announce that Raba is ill. Whoever loves him, let him pray for him,
and whoever hates him, let him rejoice over him; for it is written:
Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thy heart be glad when
he stumbleth, lest the Lord see it and it displease Him and He turn away
His wrath from him.26

Rich, Joel wrote:

> IIRC there's a gemara that details a progression for steps when one is
> ill, first praying for themselves then asking others to pray for
> them.  Can someone point me to where this gemara is.

Daniel Eidensohn