[Avodah] Hypocrisy in halakhah

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Nov 3 11:43:26 PST 2008

Micha Berger wrote:

> Li nir'eh, though, the taqanah was about something else. Not that we
> necessarily wanted to assimilate Xian marriage ethos, but in reflection
> of the fact that we already did. IOW, once the norm and expectation was
> to have a monogynous marriage, Rabbeinu Gershom might have felt that the
> few violations still left were cruel to the wife who came to be expect /
> assume exclusivity.

If it's simply a matter of the wife's expectations then surely he would
have left it up to her, as the Sefardim did, by making it a tnai ketuba
not to take a second wife without the first one's permission.  Since
ChDRG applies even with the wife's permission, it can't have been made
only for her benefit.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.