[Avodah] Dirty diapers and brachos

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Oct 30 13:58:49 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 04:25:17PM -0400, T613K at aol.com wrote:
: 1- The dirty diaper of a fully nursed baby smells unpleasantly.  It's just
: a different unpleasant smell.
: I don't know what the halacha is but as to the  facts -- I totally disagree.
: Clover smells very good to me...

So? TO me too. Doesn't mean diapers have to.

I also don't see any reason why the baby's smell as judged by its own
mother is relevant. If we go by the age most babies switch then it would
seem we're using more objective measures.

(Also, I couldn't get Google to show anyone who agreed with your
assessment of diaper smells. But as I don't think its relevant, I'm not
sure it's worth arguing this bit of mezi'us. I also disagree about a
diaper containing urine; it smells too.)

As for RMK's question, it takes a week or so, but the smell eventually
does return to the old one when the diet is returned to nursing only. But
again, the KSA gives this as an age measure for all babies, not the
measure for a particular baby's development or a means of describing
how odiferous the diaper is.

Micha Berger             It is harder to eat the day before Yom Kippur
micha at aishdas.org        with the proper intent than to fast on Yom
http://www.aishdas.org   Kippur with that intent.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rabbi Israel Salanter