[Avodah] Dirty diapers and brachos

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Oct 30 13:25:17 PDT 2008

In a message dated 10/30/2008, micha at aishdas.org writes:

1->> The dirty diaper of a fully nursed baby smells unpleasantly.  It's just
a different unpleasant smell.<<

I don't know what the halacha is but as to the  facts -- I totally disagree.
Clover smells very good to me.  BTW  certain verbs are considered "state of
being" verbs -- like is, smells, tastes,  feels -- and take adjectives, not
adverts.  Thus, she is pretty, he smells  unpleasant, the food tastes sweet,
velvet feels  soft. Confusingly, some of the same verbs can also be regular
action verbs, in which case they do take adverbs.  Thus, for example, a  child
might taste her food carefully, or a doctor might feel a lump  expertly, or a
mother might smell her baby anxiously.  Look to see if the  verb takes an object,
in which case you do want an adverb.  If OTOH  the verb takes no object, then
you need an adjective to describe the subject of  the verb.  ("The food tastes
good" -- no object -- the adjective "good"  modifies the subject of the verb,
the food.)  To repeat, breast-fed babies'  waste smells good.  Especially to
their mothers.  Like Esav's  clothes smelled to his mother Rivka.   Like Gan
Eden.

--Toby  Katz

5 Travel Deals!