[Avodah] rain on succot

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Oct 13 11:05:41 PDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 06:48:06PM +0200, Eli Turkel wrote:
: The weather forecast in Israel for the next several days is rain
: in various parts of the country. According to the gemara this is a
: sign of a curse
: 1. Succot is very late in the fall this year, does that make a difference?

>From RYGB's blog <http://rygb.blogspot.com/2008/10/sukkah-q.html>:
>> Chag Sameach Rebbe, I hope you enjoy Succot and may we all be in
>> Yerushalaim to see the Beit HaMikdash bm"b. Also, my cousin raised a
>> question; we sepcifically sit in a succah now becasue it's nots so
>> nice at as opposed to nissan when it is nice out. But when it rains,
>> which is a norm for this time of year, it is a siman rah and we are
>> patur from sitting in the succah. So why do we celebrate Succot now
>> at the beginning fo the rainy season if we are putting orselves at
>> risk of encountering this siman rah?

> It's a good question, to which I never really paid any attention. I
> think that the logic is that the lack of rain is thus clearly indicative
> of Hashgocho, as would not be the case at another time of year.

Micha Berger             "I hear, then I forget; I see, then I remember;
micha at aishdas.org        I do, then I understand." - Confucius
http://www.aishdas.org   "Hearing doesn't compare to seeing." - Mechilta
Fax: (270) 514-1507      "We will do and we will listen." - Israelites