[Avodah] rain on succot

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sun Oct 12 11:11:12 PDT 2008

R' Eli Turkel wrote:
> The weather forecast in Israel for the next several days
> is rain in various parts of the country. According to the
> gemara this is a sign of a curse

and then he asked:
> The Kinneret is at it lowest level in recorded history. Any
> rains are welcome to fill the water reservoirs. Many people
> are thrilled at an early start of the rain season. How can
> it be a curse?

It seems to me that you've found another example of Chazal making a comment which people *mistakenly* take to be always true. In actuality, they're just making a *general* comment which is *usually* true, but allows for exceptions.

(My favorite proof to this idea: How can "Everyone who does A is guaranteed Olam Haba" and "No one who does B will get Olam Haba" both be true? What of the person who does both A and B? It must be that statements are exaggerations, or metaphors, or something. In any case *not* to be taken at face value all the time.)

Akive Miller