[Avodah] tora questions

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 23:55:27 PDT 2008

> 3] is there an issur to write a sefer for a non-O  institution?
> r' saul newman

How could there be? They're trying to do the mitzvah of reading the
Torah in shul and/or the mitzvah of talmud torah, and we'll grudge
them that?

Perhaps there's an issur on writing a Torah scroll for minim and
apikorsim (I don't know if there is, but I wouldn't be entirely
surprised), but since the nonobservant are tinokot she'nishbu, they
wouldn't fall into this category. As it is said (by someone whose
identity escapes me), "There are two types of Jews: those who keep
mitzvot and those who keep more mitzvot"; in this case, we're dealing
with Jews who b'shogeg violate kashrut and shabbat, but are trying to
keep this one mitzvah of kriat haTorah - can be begrudge them this?

Mikha'el Makovi