[Avodah] Re; Pas Palter

Harry Weiss hjweiss at panix.com
Tue Oct 7 08:39:06 PDT 2008

Is there any reason to believe that even in the time of Chazal there was
not some sort of hasgacha to check that way of baking was kosher.  It may
have been less formalized that today with no trademarded symbols, but
there probably was some Yotzei VeNichnas type of checking.

Regarding use of Bakery ovens.  There were references made to to Yiddim
briging their cholents to the bakery to cook and deriving from that that
non Jews also brought their tarfus to bakeries to cook.

I don't think the metzius matches the presumption.  Jews only brought
Shabbos cholents to the bakery.  During the week people cooked at home.  I
think even the cholents were first cooked at home and brought to the
bakery to keep warm jsut before Shabbos when the baker was finished using
the ovens because of Shabbos.

The issue wasn't a lack of ovens in the homes, but a Shabbos issue.  In a
typical home setting even if wood was added just before Shabbos, by the
time Shabbos lunch came around the oven would have cooled off.  Baker's
ovens were larger and better insulated and had enough residual heat to
last through Shbbos lunch.

Since the non Jew does not have the Shabbos prohibition of cooking on
Shabbos, there was no need to bring things to the baker. In addition the
non Jewish baker was using his oven to bake on  Shabbos.

Harry J. Weiss
hjweiss at panix.com