[Avodah] Abortion

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Oct 3 11:54:19 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 01:01:14PM -0400, Yitzhak Grossman wrote:
: Note that Rav Yitzhak Shor (Resp. Koah Shor #20)...
: After a lengthy analysis, however, he concludes that even according to
: Rambam, the primary justification for permitting abortion is, as Rashi
: says, that the fetus is not a 'nefesh', and Rambam only invokes the
: principle of Rodef to imply that if we can save the mother by merely
: amputating a part or parts of the fetus, as opposed to destroying
: it, then we must do so, just as we are commanded to do in a classic case
: of Rodef...

More than that, the very same Retzichah 1:9 continues by not applying
rodeif once the baby's head emerged. If the child really was a rodeif
WRT retzichah, why does the Rambam shift to "ein dochin nefesh mipenei
nefesh" after birth rather than just being consistent?

I recommend hitting the archive topics from around
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=A#ABORTION
onward and the Mar'eh Meqomos raised there and at RMTorciener's
Hamakor at <http://www.hamakor.org/ishus/abort.htm> (formally on
aishdas.org/hamakor/... correct any links to the new location).

GCT and :-)@@ii!

Micha Berger             The trick is learning to be passionate in one's
micha at aishdas.org        ideals, but compassionate to one's peers.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507