[Avodah] KVCT

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Thu Oct 2 06:00:53 PDT 2008

Something occurred to me this evening: most people switch from Ketivah
Vechatimah Tovah, or Leshanah Tovah Tikateivu, to Gemar Chatimah Tovah
or for short Gmar Tov, right after Rosh Hashanah.

However, all the tefillot are written in terms of "Ketivah": Zochreinu
Lechaim, Avinu Malkeinu, Besefer Chaim Tovah Uvracha, etc., and use that
verb right up through mincha on Yom Kippur.  Only for Neilah do the
tefillot switch to Chatimah.

So why do the greetings change, when clearly the aggadic message of the
tefillah texts, the theological message, is that the whole period right
through Yom Kippur afternoon is associated with Ketivah?

--
        name: jon baker
I was taught that we switch to gct because the righteous get written in

GCT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.