[Avodah] things not in the mishna

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 01:27:24 PST 2008

Nin giving a shiur I discussed the fact that Chanukah is only mentioned
in the Mishna as an aside and there are no hilchot chanukah in the Mishna
in contradistinction to Purim which has its own mesechta.

Someone asked me that there are many halachot that are not mentioned
in the Mishna. Tefillin have an aside in Menachot, Tzizit, Mezuzah,
Brit Milah, Gerut are among the many basic halachot that are left out
of the Mishna. On the other hand tefilla/berachot gets a whole mesechta
while korbanot gets a whole seder.

Question: Is there any reason why some halachot are essentially ignored
in the Mishna?

Just to be clearer. Obviously the gemara adds many details to the Mishna but
at least the Mishna gives the basic halachot. For tefiilin the mishna
only states
that one can wear tefillin of the head and arm independently as an
adjunct to many
halachot where one part does not prevent another part

--
Eli Turkel