[Avodah] Madoff scandal

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Wed Dec 24 08:20:36 PST 2008

>> He was arrested on Dec. 11 at his Manhattan apartment and charged  with
securities fraud, turned in the night before by his sons after he told them  his
entire business was “a giant Ponzi scheme.” <<

_http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/20/business/20madoff.html?_r=1&th=&adxnnl=1&em
c=th&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1229836491-//LZCxBf7hAUknRcDlv2/A_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/20/business/20madoff.html?_r=1&th=&adxnnl=1&emc=th&pagewanted
=all&adxnnlx=1229836491-//LZCxBf7hAUknRcDlv2/A)

or

_http://tinyurl.com/82rbfy_ (http://tinyurl.com/82rbfy)

I wonder what the chevra think about Madoff's sons turning him in?   He's a
major criminal so they did the right thing?  Dina demalchusa?   Or mesira?
What about kibud av?   What should a person  do if he finds out that his father
is a goniff?  Minor tax  cheat?  major investment fraud?

PS Is this a hashkafic or a halachic question?  I don't know.   But my
visceral reaction was:  his own kids turned him in?!  That's  disgusting!

--Toby Katz
Read  *Jewish World Review* at _http://jewishworldreview.com/_
(http://jewishworldreview.com/)

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.