[Avodah] Did Yosef Forgive His Brothers?

Rabbi Meir rabbimeir at optusnet.com.au
Sat Dec 20 21:08:41 PST 2008

R Micha says from R' Bachya that Yoseif did forgive his brothers. He did not
however articulate that mechilah; and suggests that the problem wasn't
obtaining Yoseif's mechilah, but HQBH.

My understanding of the R Bachya 50:17 seems not so. I offer my loose
translation: "Whoever has hurt another, is not forgiven until the victim is
appeased, even though he has repented. Now even though the Pessukim mention
that Yosef comforted them and spoke to 'their hearts' which gives the
appearance that Yosef forgave them, we nevertheless do not observe anywhere
that in fact did forgive them and put aside the wrong they had done to him.
They thus died with their sin, without Yosef's forgiveness. It is for this
reason that their sin required some type of release which occurred with the
ten martyrs."

Meir Rabi