[Avodah] Tamuz-Avodah Zarah-Mentioning Names only Asur if still Worshipped? [2nd posting]

Segal Ariel asegal20902 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 16 14:55:26 PST 2008

Hello everyone. My Dirshu Shiur just finished Masechet Avodah Zarah, but I couldn't find a full answer to the question I had about a year ago, reposted here:

I had a question about mentioning the
> names of idolatrous deities. In the Artscroll
> Mishnayot Avodah Zara, there is a footnote-I forget
> where-that says that the issur only applies when the
> avodah zara is still worshipped today. What is the
> source for this?
>
> [Also, given that there are still small groups of
> neopagans that claim to worship ancient
> Greek/Scandinavian deities, does that remove the
> heter, if there is one, from mentioning them?]
>
> This is not as relevant as it used to be for me, but
> when I was a teaching assistant in history of science,
> I would rely on this Artscroll footnote to say, for
> instance "Thales of Miletus (an early philosopher)
> held that the origin of the universe was from water,
> not through Zeus..."

I would very much like to see a definitive makor that one can mention the name of deities no longer worshipped.

Another question: Are there any sources for owning books which have photographs of idols for archaeological purposes?

Kol Tuv, Ariel Segal