[Avodah] Vayeishev "If You Can't Say Something Nice, Then Don't Say Anything At All"

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sat Dec 13 19:10:00 PST 2008

V'LO YACHLU DABRO L'SHALOM (37:4) -   "And they they could not speak
to him peaceably."
Due to the tremendous jealousy and hostility, the brothers could not
bring themselves to speak peacefully to Joseph.
Interestingly, Rashi actually commends them for not being two faced.
He writes: "From their blame we learn their praise.
For they did not speak one way with their mouth and another way with
their heart."

Though Rashi is correct, I think an even higher level, would be to
adhere to the old adage: "If you can't say something
nice, then don't say anything at all."  That's a level we all strive
for, but having someone tell us that they will rule over us
makes it pretty difficult. That would take a true tzaddik, which few
of us are.

rw