[Avodah] Sephardi-ism: some food for thought

Yitzhak Grossman celejar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 12:13:37 PST 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 10:51:39 -0500
Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:28:23PM -0500, Yitzhak Grossman wrote:
> :> Is the ideal poseiq a database plus some natural language software (to
> :> convert the sefarim into some data structure) and an algorithm? That would
> :> be the ultimate in objectivity -- but it would minimize the humanity of
> :> our contribution to the halachic process.
>
> : I don't think this would be "the ultimate in objectivity"; without real
> : AI, the software couldn't possibly generate any real Pesak, since Pesak
> : involves human level reasoning...
>
> And if the process needs real AI, doesn't that mean it requires
> subjectivity? Isn't the difference between real software and any
> hypothetical "real AI" is that intelligence has an "I", a first person
> viewpoint, a possibility of subjectivity? If you /need/ real intelligence,
> doesn't that mean there is a subjective component?

This is exactly the point I meant to reject, or at least question.  Do
automated theorem provers do mathematics as well as actual
mathematicians?  Is the mathematician's advantage his subjectivity, or
his superior intellectual-cognitive sophistication?

Yitzhak
--
Bein Din Ledin - http://bdl.freehostia.com
A discussion of Hoshen Mishpat, Even Ha'Ezer and other matters