[Avodah] The Relationship Between Ya'akov and Esav

Yitzchok Levine Larry.Levine at stevens.edu
Tue Dec 9 06:42:23 PST 2008

The following is from the new translation of
RSRH's commentary on Chumash Bereishis.

32: 29 And he said: Your name shall no longer be
said to be Ya’akov, but Yisrael, for you have
become the commanding power before God
and men, since you have prevailed.

vatuchal — “since you have been able.” You achieved everything you
wanted. I did not. I wanted to throw you down, but was unable to do
so. You wanted only not to fall, and in that you succeeded.

This has remained the relationship between Ya’akov and Esav to this
very day. With regard to both politics and religion, Esav declares: “Outside
of me there is no salvation,” and he considers his own existence
threatened as long as, aside from himself, there is a Ya’akov; as long as
there exists, aside from himself, another force claiming its rightful share
in the shaping of the world. To Ya’akov, however, every pure human
value is justified. What is more, he proclaims that every pure human
value can flower and attain significance, if only it will absorb the spirit
he has to offer. Ya’akov’s sole demand in his struggle with Esav is “blessing
and recognition.”