[Avodah] menorah on a plane

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Dec 8 14:20:07 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 09:21:25PM +0000, Gershon Dubin wrote:
: What kind of kiyum mitzva can you have if you don't live there?
: I can understand the train situation 150 years ago, when they spent,
: as someone wrote, 3 days on the train, so it would be similar to
: achsenai. But a plane?

Tangentially, I really doubt this would come up lemaaseh on a plane.
Maybe an electric menorah.

Take the case of someone flying across the Atlantic who lives alone.
There is no one lighting for him at home.

Tangent (since I have the notes on-hand):
Or even if he does have someone at home, the Rosh holds (acc to Tur OC
677) that he has to light so that people are choshedim he isn't lighting,
although Bach says that this is only true where people light out doors,
and therefore an absence would be conspicuous. The SA (ibid se'if 3)
says that if he's the only Jew around he has to light anyway, and the
MA requires him to consciously rely on his family lighting back at home.

There is the famous machloqes of whether you light where you eat or where
you sleep. The MA and Taz seem to say that if you're away for one meal,
you have to light when you get home. In my hypothetical, he was away
for two and sleeping overnight. You are an achsenai lekhol hadei'os,
I believe.

Micha Berger             Man can aspire to spiritual-moral greatness
micha at aishdas.org        which is seldom fully achieved and easily lost
http://www.aishdas.org   again. Fullfillment lies not in a final goal,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      but in an eternal striving for perfection. -RSRH