[Avodah] Questions as a Result of the Flatbush Lakewood Shabbos

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Dec 7 19:10:07 PST 2008

In a message dated 12/7/2008, R' Yitzchok Levine writes:

RYL:  >> One of the Roshei Yeshiva  eloquently spoke about the years that
Yaakov spent studying in the yeshiva of  Shem V'Ever. (As we all know, these
years are not mentioned openly in the  Chumash.) However, he failed to make any
mention that the Torah tells us in  considerable detail how Yaakov worked
diligently for Lavan for 20 years. It  would seem to me that years of work in order
to support a family are  considered of some importance, given that the Torah
mentions them.  <<
TK:  No one needs constant propaganda to persuade men to work -- the  press
of financial need ensures that most men will eventually work.  What  they need
constant reinforcement for is the ideal of "sitting and learning" -- a  life
that is unnatural and can only be maintained by withstanding severe  financial
and social pressures.  I myself am highly ambivalent about the
kollel-forever-for-everyone ideal, but that's for Areivim I guess. There was one  Shevet
Levi and also one Shevet Yisachar, so maybe a proportion of one out of  every six
bnai Torah spending their lives in full-time Torah, supported by the  other
five, would be reasonable? Not sure.  In any case, in my book Zevulun  is as
important as Yisachar and they are both engaged in avodas Hashem of the  highest
degree.  I think "my book" is the Torah.

RLL:  >> When it came to Shemoneh Esrei, it took the Rosh  Yeshiva a long
time to daven. Indeed, the Rov of the shul as well as all of  the others who
davened with this minyan finished well before the Rosh Yeshiva  and therefore had
to wait a good few minutes for the Rosh Yeshiva to finish.  In light of the
piece below, I can only wonder if what he did was appropriate.  <<

TK:  I am guessing that he always davens a long shmoneh esreh and  that it
isn't a problem in Lakewood. If everybody davens long then it's not  tircha
detzibura.   He probably concentrates on his own tefilla to the  extent that he
was not aware that others were waiting for him.  And maybe  it does some baale
batim good just once in a while to see a person take his time  to say each and
every word with care.  And in the words of the famous  Milton poem, "They also
serve, who only stand and wait."  They watched the  Rosh Yeshiva daven and
they waited for him to finish -- that is kovod  haTorah.

--Toby Katz
"If you don't read the  newspaper you are uninformed;
if you do read the newspaper you are  misinformed."
--Mark Twain
Read *Jewish World Review* at _http://jewishworldreview.com/_
(http://jewishworldreview.com/)