[Avodah] R' Aviner on gadol hador status

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Wed Dec 3 21:38:50 PST 2008

> Looking back now, for example, I think everybody would agree that  the
> ... Vilna Gaon was "the" godol hador of his  dor...[--TK]

Maybe. Maybe not. I think that even today, some might give  that title to
the Baal Shem Tov. [--R' Joel Rich]

They were not exactly the same dor.  The Ba'al Shem Tov died in 1760,  the
Vilna Gaon in 1797.  A person doesn't become a godol hador until he is  at least
in his fifties and more often not until he's 70, so the Vilna Gaon (who  was
40 when the Baal Shem Tov died) would not yet have been the godol hador when
the Besht was still alive.  Thus, each could well have been "the" godol  hador
of his dor.

--Toby Katz
"If you don't read the  newspaper you are uninformed;
if you do read the newspaper you are  misinformed."
--Mark Twain
Read *Jewish World Review* at _http://jewishworldreview.com/_
(http://jewishworldreview.com/)